Slow Cooker Orange and Ginger Beef Stew
Want to bring the flavours of Asia to your kitchen? Try this delicious and easy to prepare recipe.
2 lbs boneless beef pot roast (top, bottom, or cross rib)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
2 Tbs orange marmalade
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs packed brown sugar
1 Tbs five spice powder
1 Tbs orange zest
2 garlic cloves, sliced
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup beef broth
½ cup orange juice
2 Tbs cornstarch
4 cups baby bok toy or broccolini
3 green onions, sliced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, torn
1. Trim excess fat and sinew from beef, and then cut into 1 inch cubes.
2. In slow cooker, combine beef, onion, ginger, marmalade, brown sugar, 5 spice, orange zest, garlic, salt and pepper, broth, and orange juice.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Whisk cornstarch with 2 Tbs of orange juice and then add mixture back into the slow cooker.
5. Add bok choy or broccolini.
6. Cover again and cook on high until slightly thickened and vegetable is wilted, approximately 10 minutes.
7. Serve on a bed of brown rice and top with green onion and cilantro.
If you prefer a strong orange flavour, omit the brown sugar and use an extra Tbs of marmalade.
recipe adaptation courtesy of Canadian Living
Dr. Crysta Serné
Vancouver Chiropractor and owner of Vitality Clinic