Quinoa is a whole protein, in that it contains all your essential amino acids. Here are a few of our favourite quinoa recipes.
• 2 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed well
• 1tsp thyme
• 1tsp marjoram
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• sea salt and pepper to taste
Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir, cover, and lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Zesty Quinoa with Broccoli
• 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
• 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, julienned or chopped
• 1/2 cup vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 2 TB lemon juice
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
• 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces Fresh ground black pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup roasted cashew pieces
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, vegetable stock, wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
Stir in the quinoa and salt. Reduce heat, and simmer covered about 20 minutes. Add the broccoli on top and simmer an additional 5 to 6 minutes
Remove from heat, toss gently until combined. Add ground pepper and additional salt, if desired, to taste. Garnish with cashews and scallions before serving.
Quinoa and Black Beans
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup frozen corn kernels
• 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro. Serves 5
The Vitality Team