Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
A creamy and hearty chicken and mushroom stew.
2 cups button mushrooms, halved
1 package (14 oz) dried chanterelles or porcinis
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp tarragon or thyme
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup white wine
1 Tbs grainy mustard
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup milk (for a richer version, use 10% cream instead of milk)
2 tsp white wine vinegar
parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
1. Combine mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spices in your slow cooker. Top with chicken thigh pieces.
2. Mix together broth, wine and mustard and pour it over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3. About 20 minutes before you want the dish to be done, whisk flour with 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Stir into the chicken stew and let cook for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
4. Stir in milk and white wine vinegar right before serving.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Can be served on it’s own or over noodles.
Dr. Crysta Serné
Vancouver Chiropractor and owner of Vitality Clinic
*recipe adapted from Canadian Living recipe