If you want to have your salad as a complete meal, simply double the recipe and add a protein of your choice.
Arugula Salad with Ginger-Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TB apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 TB fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced thyme
- 1/4 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb sugar snap peas, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 bunch arugula (1/2 lb), cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 lb yellow squash, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
Place dressing ingredients in blender. Purée for 1 minute, set aside.
Place 1 teaspoon olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add
mushrooms and sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
While mushrooms are cooking, heat water in a saucepan to steam sugar snap peas. When water boils, place peas in steamer basket. cover, steam 2–3 minutes until peas are bright green. chill peas quickly in ice water. Drain well.
Place arugula, squash, red bell pepper and peas in a large bowl, toss with dressing. Divide salad onto 4 plates. When mushrooms are golden, deglaze pan by adding the sherry, cook until all liquid evaporates. Place mushrooms on top of salad and serve.
Beet Salad with Arugula and Lemon Ginger Dressing
A simple salad with a lovely presentation that will make it look like it was twice the work! The nuttiness of arugula and the ginger bite of the dressing go exceedingly well with the rich, earthy flavour of the beets.
- 1 TB ginger, minced
- 1 green onion top, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- 4 red beets (2-inch size)
- 4 golden beets (2-inch size)
- 1/4 lb baby arugula
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds (or regular)
Wash beets. Steam or boil the 2 colours of beets in separate pots (to retain colours); cook until tender (up to 40 minutes), chill. Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and purée. Peel chilled beets, slice thinly.
Divide arugula on 4 salad plates. Alternating colours, overlap beets in a ring around the arugula. Place sprouts in the center of the ring and top with sesame seeds. Drizzle with dressing.
Have a great day,
Dr. Crysta Serné
Vancouver Chiropractor and owner of Vitality Clinic