Slow Cooker Chicken, Quinoa, and Parmesan Stoup
Nope, that’s not a typo- this dish is right smack between a soup and a stew. 🙂 Hearty, delicious, and easy!
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 cup uncooked quinoa
3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp dried oregano
Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 can (24 ounces) garlic & herb flavoured spaghetti sauce
1 can (14.25 ounces) diced tomatoes
4-6 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Optional- mozzarella cheese, fresh basil
1. Spray your slow cooker generously with nonstick spray.
2. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
3. Rinse the quinoa and add it to the slow cooker along with the Italian seasoning, dried oregano, pinch of red pepper flakes, garlic, chopped onion, spaghetti sauce, and undrained petite diced tomatoes.
4. Pour in the chicken broth, stir well, and cover the slow cooker. Allow to cook on high for 4-5 hours (check on it occasionally to make sure quinoa isn’t sticking to sides.)
5. Shred the chicken with two forks.
6. Stir everything together and add in 1-2 more cups chicken broth if desired (I personally prefer it chunkier so I don’t add the extra broth).
7. Season with salt and pepper and any other additional seasonings to reach your desired taste.
8. Stir in the Parmesan (and mozzarella if desired – just as much as you want) cheese and allow to melt.
9. Top with fresh basil (and an extra garnish of Parmesan cheese) and enjoy while it’s hot!
Dr. Crysta Serné
Vancouver Chiropractor and owner of Vitality Clinic
*recipe adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron