Mom’s Taco Casserole
I receive a great deal of my cooking inspiration from my Mom. She is always tweaking recipes to make them her own or just coming up with her own creations. This is one of those recipes and it’s great because it can be modified in a number of ways to suite your taste… Want more heat? Add more salsa and decrease the amount of tomatoes or add half of a diced and seeded jalapeño. Don’t like corn? No problem, just omit it. You get the idea… 🙂
1 Lb. ground beef or turkey
¼ cup of chopped onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 cup chopped pepper (green, red, yellow or a combination of all 3)
1Tbs. Taco seasoning *
1 cup chunky salsa (your desired heat)
1 can diced tomatoes ( drain and reserve juice) or 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes **
1cup frozen corn
¾ cup instant uncooked rice (Uncle Ben’s (perfection) or Minute Rice)
Water combined with reserved tomato juice to make 1 cup
Crushed taco chips (used as a thin layer)
1 cup of Tex-Mex shredded cheese (plain cheddar would also be fine)
Sour cream (for garnish)
1. Brown and drain ground beef.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté til onions are transparent.
3. Add peppers and sauté for 5 min.
4. Add Taco seasoning. Mix well.
5. Add Salsa, diced tomatoes, rice, corn and the water/juice. Mix well.
6. Place a layer of crushed Taco chips on the bottom of a 2 ½ qt. casserole dish.
7. Pour ground beef mixture on top.
8. Add another layer of crushed Taco chips.
9. Top with cheese and bake at 350º for about 45 min (until bubbling and cheese has browned on top.)
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
I served the casserole with a light green salad and some avocado to brighten it up even more.
**if you use fresh tomatoes you will want to increase your liquid by an extra half cup.
*Store bought taco seasoning will work just fine, but if you’re interested in making your own, here’s the recipe:
Taco Seasoning Mix
1 Tbs Chili powder
¼ tsp Garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
¼ tsp oregano
½ tsp Paprika
1½ tsp Cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Enjoy and Thanks Mom!
Dr. Crysta Serné
Vancouver Chiropractor and owner of Vitality Clinic